Tuesday 3 August 2010

2.75 Wainwrights! Unfinished business by Rob.


While you were all having fun on the Clwydians choosing your own race routes I was in the Lake District planning my own run. The weather on the coast was fine but low cloud hung over the hills all the early part of the week. On the Thursday the forecast was OK for the morning so I gave it a try.
My wife dropped me near Santon Bridge (centre of picture) and I set off to follow the to of the screes overlooking Wastwater. In 90 minutes I had done Whin Rigg and Illgill Pike and dropped down the very steep slope to Burnmoor Tarn. I set off up the path to Scafell, it is a fairly straightforward climb up just over 2000 feet to the summit. Steep and grassy to start, then a bit easier, but the last 1000 is up an exposed, loose, zigzag path. An hour later I was struggling, going very slowly on the slippery path, cloud coming down limiting visibility, fine rain and nobody else around (I hadn't seen anybody for over two hours). I think it was another couple of hundred feet to the summit but enough is enough. I accepted defeat and turned back. It took another hour and a half to get to Dalegarth Station in Eskdale to meet Steph, four hours in total. While she got me a cup of tea I washed my legs and the dog in Willan Beck. A quick change into warm clothes, a bit of food and back down the valley on the train. We found a pub with its own brewery to eat at in the evening. I slept well.
Only problem is, I know it was right decision to turn round. The mountain will be there another day and I can have another go. Its bugging me now; it will have to be soon but maybe next time
I'll do Scafell first and think about the others afterwards. Rob

1 comment:

  1. Good decision to turn round, but these things are addictive, good luck next time

    ReplyDelete